Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
When we’re outside, we want to sit comfortably; it does take away from the experience, however, if we have to worry about our cushions when the rain starts. Here, we will help you find a cushion that won’t suffer so much if exposed to water—and which will look great in your patio, to boot! These are the best patio cushions for rain, reviewed!
Reviewing the Best Patio Cushions for Rain
Let’s be frank: most patio chairs in the market are uncomfortable. And it goes without saying that simply bringing out the cushion set from your living room whenever you want to sit outside, is less than optimal: in the best of days, they will get dirty easily, and if it rains… well, you get the picture. It doesn’t have to be like this! Nowadays, there is an entire industry dedicated to providing cushions which, aside from providing comfort (and looks), will be just fine outside, and will be a breeze to clean.
It’s All About the Materials
Whatever the type, use or location, a cushion will consist of 2 parts: the filling, or stuffing, and the cover. Both of these have to be made in fairly specific materials if we want them to survive the outdoors. Common options for filling include:
- Compressed polyester: A common, fairly economical alternative that will not easily degrade.
- Polyurethane: Usually boasts higher protection against mildew thanks to its biocide treatment.
- Open cell: Low-maintenance and quite comfortable, its wider pores promote water and air flow for quicker drying, which makes them optimal for high-moisture areas.
When it comes to the cover, here are a few options in vogue today:
- Textilene: Resistant to moisture and mold, it is also good at maintaining color after exposure to the sun, which makes it a popular choice for products such as canopies. It is also flame retardant.
- Polypropylene: Also referred to as olefin fabric, it is a widely used fabric for outdoor applications due to its remarkable resilience.
- Vinyl: A plastic that’s been around for close to a century, it remains in use due to its durability and how easy it is to preserve and keep clean.
- Sunbrella: Created in the 1960s, it is renowned for its unique combination of feel, look and endurance. A somewhat expensive alternative, it is not as common as other options, but it might just be the best choice for those with a heftier budget.
Matching Cushion To Seat
Though there will be those who will be happy sitting on the ground, most of us will be looking for something to pad our favorite chair with—in which case, it’s best to make sure you’re buying the right size. To do that, we should get to know the relevant measurements:
Width: Left to right across the seating surface.
Depth: Front edge to rear of the seat.
Back: From the base of the seat, to the top of your chair’s back.
From there, it’s fairly simple: if you’re seeking to pad the seat itself, you measure your chair’s width and depth. For the back of it, width and back. Once you have these values, you can shop for the cushion that more closely fits the measurements you took.
All-Weather Comfort: Our Selection
The following is a list of cushions that, aside from resistant to water, are good fits for a variety of situations and tastes.
Quality Outdoor Living 29-BG23SB 29-BG02SB All-Weather Deep Seating Chair Cushion, 2 Piece Set
Have a favorite chair which is lacking cushions? Then this is a potential good pick for you, as it includes a pair that is intended for seat and back. The seat is 23 x 26′”, and 4″ thick, with the cushion for the back measuring 23 x 19″, 6.6″ thick. The cover is olefin fabric—with the weather resilience that entails—, and the seat cushion features a polyurethane foam pad for optimal comfort.
This set is fairly easy to care for, all you have to do is spot clean using a rag and a mild soap solution. Also available as a 4-piece set (for furnishing 2 chairs), you get over 30 choices of color and pattern to choose from.
- Its comprehensive selection of color and patterns makes it quite simple to find something to match the existing furniture and surrounding space, no matter the theme or palette.
- The texture on the cover has been considered uncomfortable by some customers.
- Generally regarded as too expensive for the actual support they provide; they reportedly flatten somewhat soon.
Greendale Home Fashions AZ4809-PALM-WHITE Outdoor Seat/Back Chair Cushion
You can add cushions to a chair’s seat and back separately… or you can opt for an option such as this one, which will provide instant comfort in one piece. The stuffing is polyfiber fill, entirely made of recycled plastic bottles, and the cover is heavy-duty polyester, with over two dozen patterns and colors available to pick from. The tack construction keeps the filling divided by regions, so it will be harder for it to shift and bunch during use.
Although resistant to fading, stains and water, it is recommended by the manufacturer to store or cover the cushions while they are not being used.
- Their pattern selection places additional emphasis on a nature feeling (leaves, flowers, and so on).
- Easier to keep the cushion in place and prevent it from sliding while sitting on it, thanks to the strings it features.
- Several customers have reported that they cannot sit comfortably due to the stuffing being too tightly packed within.
Classic Accessories Ravenna Patio Chaise Lounge Cushion
If you are seeking to pad a lounge chair and are concerned nothing might be a good fit, then it is possible your search has come to an end: measuring 72 x 21″ and with a thickness of 3″, the foam within is multilayered, featuring a foam core in an open-cell wrapping that provides high-density support and still adapts to the shape of whoever rests upon it. The cover is solution-dyed woven polyester, with a special coating and laminated backing that helps the fabric repel water. The interior seams come reinforced at certain joints, to help with durability, and the zippers can be locked so they won’t accidentally slide open and compromise the stuffing within.
- Capable of fitting most lounge chairs in the market, thanks to the 2 size options it offers.
- Its belted hems and click-close straps help keep the cushion securely in position.
- Recurrent reports of difficulty pushing the stuffing into the cover after arrival; per some reports, it might even require two people.
Pillow Perfect Outdoor/Indoor Basalto Navy Tufted Loveseat Cushion
If the single pattern it offers is to your liking, then this might be a good fit—no matter the chair you’re seeking to furnish, due to the 9 different configurations available. Love seat, swing, lounging chair, even if all you’re looking for is a nice set of throw pillows, this alternative got you covered. It’s polyester inside and out, the stuffing being made of recycled materials, and with the cover featuring fade- and water-resistant properties that allow it to be at ease outdoors or indoors.
Although the price is bound to fluctuate depending on the version one purchases, many of the variations available are quite affordable.
- Frequently met with praise due to the quality it offers, especially for a relatively low price.
- Fabric is reportedly more resilient against sun and rain than many other optons in the market.
- Very limited possibilities in terms of complementing a palette or a theme, as it only offers one color and pattern.
RSH Décor Indoor Outdoor 3-Piece Tufted Wicker Settee
This one offers only one variation—1 love seat cushion and 2 U-shaped ones—, but it could be a good choice if you have a furniture set in need of extra padding. Another thing that makes this alternative stands out is its color selection: boasting a total of nearly 20 options, all of them are plain colors, which might be a plus for anyone who might be tired of seeing multicolored, multi-shape patterns. Featuring a 4″ thick poly fiber fill, the fabric is resistant to stain, fading and rain, and it needs only a pass or two with a sponge and soapy water to remain clean.
- Its wide selection of plain colors might make it an especially good fit for anyone who favors more conventional, less noisy looks.
- Fabric has been praised for its liquid-repellent capabilities.
- Several customers have reported being disappointed with the exact color hue they meet upon opening the box; pictures in literature are generally considered to be the root cause.
Best For Your Chairs: Pillow Perfect Outdoor/Indoor Basalto Navy Tufted Loveseat Cushion
The single look it offers could feel like a demerit, but it doesn’t have to be, as its unique pattern and palette should make it an easy fit for just about any patio that goes for a carefree, fresh feeling. Anyone who chooses to look past this apparent shortcoming, is likely to enjoy a comfortable, durable cushion that is made to match any sort of seating arrangement they have, be it a bench or a lounge chair. Both in terms of cushion support and color durability, this item has received generally positive reviews, and its price is also difficult to beat—although this will be subject to variation depending on the configuration selected.
All in all, this one is a fairly solid choice, unlikely to disappoint.
The Latest Posts