Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Picnics are fun, but if there isn’t a picnic table available you’re out of luck if you don’t want to sit on the ground. These best portable picnic tables solve that problem, and they’re perfect for small groups, parties, or camping.
Best Portable Picnic Table
These portable picnic tables are also handy if you want an easy to set up, multi-purpose table that you can bring along anywhere. The bigger tables have seating and also double as a food prep surface, where the smaller ones are great if you want a small table or have to carry it a long distance.
All of these picnic tables fold up for easy transport or storage, so they’re also great to have at home. Just pull out your portable picnic table when there’s a few extra backyard guests or for a BBQ!
It’s also handy if you live in an apartment and want to have a picnic in a shared green space but don’t want to buy something permanent.
Tips for Buying the Perfect Portable Picnic Table
- Get enough seating. This should be a given, but definitely check out the reviews to make sure that whatever picnic table you buy actually seats everyone – sometimes the benches are very small! You want to consider getting two tables if you need to seat a crowd.
- Easy set up. No one wants to be messing around with the table set up when your stomach is growling. All our picks are easy to set up in minutes so you can get right to the best part – the picnic.
- Portable. Just because something can fold doesn’t make it portable, so we only chose tables that you should be able to bring to your destination with relative ease. That means being compact, lightweight, and easy to carry.
- Extra features. Do you need some storage (if you’re also using it for food prep) or want a hole for an umbrella to get some shade?
- Weight limit. Both for the seating if you have heavier folks in your family or the table top if you plan on using the picnic table to support a heavy object like a grill.
- Your setup location. Are you going to be on uneven ground? Is there a long walk to your picnic spot where you’d need to carry the table?
- Material. If you plan on using the surface to cook on (like with a portable bbq) make sure the picnic table is heat resistant. If you are just sitting and eating, something that’s easy to clean would be best.
Lifetime Folding Picnic Table
I like this folding picnic table because it’s really sturdy. You can set it up again and again, and it holds up to weather, wear and tear, and chipping. It’s also super easy to clean compared to regular picnic tables or something with a slatted top.
The benches and legs fold in so the entire table is flat for transportation and storage. It’s not as portable as some of the table tables we’re going to share with you (large and can be hard to carry a long way), but it makes up for that with quality.
- Seats 8 people comfortably
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Hole in the middle so you can add an umbrella
- Great for camping, backyards, etc
- Awkward to carry over long distances
- Requires some assembly before you can use it
- Slight wobble to it, especially if you’re on uneven ground
- No umbrella hole
Office Star Resin 3-Piece Folding Bench and Table Set
I like that the benches are detached from this portable picnic table set so you can sit more comfortably. It also lowers the weight of the table so that you can, at least with the help of multiple trips or an extra pair of hands, carry everything easier.
There’s no assembly required, you just fold out the table and benches and you’re good to go. Everything stores well too. As for the durability, the table and benches are all very solid and can support a lot of weight.
- Durable table and bench set
- Detached table and benches is versatile; table can be used for prep and eating, benches can be used at the table or around the campfire
- Handles make carrying everything easier
- Good for camping
- Even though the table and benches are separate it’s all still somewhat heavy, meaning it could be a chore to carry this set a long way
- Benches are a little wobbly/tipping, so use caution especially when sitting young children
- You need to make sure the table and benches are locked before you use it
Nature Factory Bamboo Wine Picnic Table with Glass Holder and Snack Tray
It’s just a little portable picnic table and oh so cute. This is the one you want for those romantic picnics where you and your partner are sitting on a picnic blanket but want a firm surface to hold food and drinks.
Small enough to fit inside a backpack or tote bag, this mini table is perfect for occasions where you have a long distance to go for your picnic spot.
- Perfect for couples, it even holds two glasses of wine
- Small and lightweight, can fit in most bags and backpacks
- Only for two people
- Not a real picnic table, just a tray for picnicking on the ground
- Best for snacks and finger foods, not eating a full meal
WUROMISE Sanny Outdoor Folding Portable Picnic Camping Table
This fold out picnic table doesn’t come with chairs, so that’s a major downside. However, it also gives you an opportunity to grab whatever folding chairs suit your needs best – meaning you can get better quality ones or find an inexpensive brand.
Now, for the table. It’s a different kind of folding table and collapses down quite small. There is assembly initially, but it’s pretty simple to put together. There’s also a carrying bag for storage. This table is quite sturdy, but still lightweight enough to carry.
- Folds down small so it’s easy to transport
- Storage basket underneath is handy
- Durable, easy to clean, and heat resistant on top
- Holds up to 225lbs
- Also makes a great prep table
- Doesn’t come with chairs
- Table top is slippery and things could blow off if left unattended
- Some assembly required for each use which is tedious in certain situations
Folding Picnic Table and Beach Set
This isn’t the biggest of the portable picnic tables out there, but that means it’s also super compact. Everything folds up nicely and the tabletop becomes the outside of the case with the benches inside.
Set up is quick and easy, and everything locks into place. My only complaint is that the seats aren’t very big, but for a picnic it’s perfect.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Compact when not in use
- Easy to set up
- Chairs are on the smaller side
- Only seats four people
- Not sturdy when it’s windy, can also get banged up if you’re not careful with transport or storage
What is the Best Portable Picnic Table?
All of these portable and fold up picnic tables work well, but there’s definitely one that stood out the most. Our pick for the best portable picnic table is the Lifetime Folding Picnic Table.
First, and maybe most importantly, it’s the one that looks most like a typical picnic table. While the other styles are OK, if you really want that picnic table feeling it’s your best choice.
Not only is it super sturdy, it also seats 8 people. That means it’s big enough for the whole family or a group of friends to gather together.
Since the whole thing folds flat you won’t need to worry about storing something bulky. It’s a little awkward to carry, but not so heavy that you can’t move it to where you want your picnic set up. It also fits well in the camper or the back of most vehicles.
Sturdy is important, and that’s another reason why this is our pick. Although it can be a bit wobbly especially if the ground isn’t level, it’s a lot more sturdy than other portable picnic tables out there. The surface is also tough and holds up to weather, wear and tear, and cleans nicely too.
The only other downsides are that it doesn’t have a hole for an umbrella and that there is some assembly required when it first arrives.
Best Portable Picnic Table – Conclusion
Folding picnic tables are great to have on hand for gatherings or just to set up in the yard when you want some extra seating. All of these table sets are great picks, so grab the one that works best for your lifestyle.
The Lifetime Folding Picnic Table might be our pick for the best portable picnic table, but whether you’re eating at the campsite or planning a romantic picnic for two there’s something here for everyone!