Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
I absolutely love camping, but there’s nothing worse than getting a bunch of dirt or sand inside the tent or RV when you climb inside. That’s why I’ve put together the best outdoor rugs for camping!
Best Outdoor Rugs for Camping
These rugs are great for keeping debris out of your home away from home. But they’re also nice to have under a picnic table or even to take along with you to the beach for a nice picnic area.
What to Look for in an Outdoor Camping Rug
Everything we recommend is going to get the job done, but you still have to pick something that works best for you. Here’s some tips on what to look for when you’re buying a new outdoor rug for camping.
Obviously you want something that you like. Adding an outdoor rug to the campsite outside a tent, RV, or under eating areas is one of the only ways you can ‘decorate’ the campsite. Make sure you choose one that you like!
Size matters, at least when it comes to buying a rug. You need something that’s large or long enough to fit the space you plan on putting it. If you want it to fit under a table, for example, you’ll want a rug that’s both long and wide enough to seat everyone comfortably.
For outside the RV or tent door, though, look for a rug that’s long enough to cover the door area and deep enough that you can comfortably remove shoes outside.
Not all outdoor rugs are the same. Some are made from synthetic materials that are similar to plastics, others are made from sturdy fabric. The former is a lot easier to care for and can be cleaned very easily, but fabric rugs are nicer on your feet.
Just like with any product, outdoor rugs can vary in price. Generally speaking, more plain rugs are going to be less expensive than their trendy or stylish counterparts.
How to Clean an Outdoor Rug
Most outdoor rugs can be cleared of dust and debris by shaking them off. If that doesn’t work, sweeping can make a big difference. For stuck in pebbles and other dirt, you may need to vacuum.
To get it really clean, though, you can wipe most outdoor rugs with a damp cloth. If that doesn’t work, rinsing it with the garden hose is usually enough. If you use any soap make sure it’s very mild.
SAND MINE Reversible Mat
These reversible rugs are easy to care for so they work great outside. Made from woven plastic, they feel like a straw rug without the difficult upkeep. You can clean it easily too, which means it’s great for camping even at dirty or wet campsites.
I find reversible rugs aren’t just handy for choosing whatever side you prefer, but also as a way to extend the life of the rug. Once one side is faded or stained you can flip it over (after cleaning) and it’s almost brand new.
- Large rug that’s perfect for all kinds of purposes while camping
- Comes with a carrying case and stakes so it’s easy to transport and set up
- Stakes aren’t great quality so you pay want to upgrade them depending on how you use the rug
- Only 4 loops to tie the rug down, which means it can lift in the wind
- Included bag breaks easily
Outdoor Patio RV Camping Hunter Mat
You can’t have the best outdoor rugs for camping without including some classic camper style mats. This one looks like the old school thick fabric mats, but is actually made of polypropylene. That means it’s easy to clean and dries quickly when wet.
This mat is reversible so you can choose which version you like better (the green and beige colours swap.) It’s a good size to go outside the door to your RV or tent, but might not be large enough for other purposes while camping.
- Good quality; it holds up well to repeated use and traps dirt and sand
- Dries quickly when wet and wipes up easily
- Comes with a bag to store it in
- Lightweight so you will probably need to stake it down
- On the smaller side so this is best used outside your door or inside a tent
- Creases take awhile to flatten out
LED Illuminated Patio Mat
Tired of tripping over the corner of your outdoor camping rug in the dark? Need a little bit of extra light at the campsite? This mat solves both those problems because it has LED lights around the perimeter.
The only downside to using this rug is that you need a campsite that has power otherwise it’s not going to work. So it might be best for RVers or those who camp at full service sites.
- LED lights around the outside of the mat
- Made of plastic so the mat is easy to clean and dries quickly
- Folds for storage and has a carrying bag
- Needs to be plugged in for the lights to work
- Pricey compared to other similar outdoor rugs
- Arrives with creases that take some time to flatten
Snowbird Light Reversible Mat – Happy Camping
This is another super cute outdoor rug for camping. I couldn’t resist including it because it’s a camping rug with a little camper on it! Like most of the other rugs on this list, this one is made from easy to clean plastic that will hold up a lot longer than natural materials.
It comes in two sizes to choose from and you can easily take it to and from the campsite in the carrying case. Having a case also means that if it does get dirty you don’t have to worry about your camper or car getting dusty too.
- Cute design that’s perfect for camping (colours are also true to the photos)
- Comes in three colour and size options
- Corners can be staked down so it doesn’t lift in the wind
- Light colour could be prone to staining
- Can tear if punctured or hit with something sharp
- Doesn’t come with stakes to hold it down
Prest-O-Fit Patio Rug
Although polypropylene is king when it comes to the best outdoor rugs for camping, I wanted to include at least one fabric option because some people still prefer it over plastic. Closer to artificial turf than an actual rug, it has a backing that keeps dirt from getting through.
Although you could use this anywhere camping, it’s primarily designed to be placed outside the door of your RV or tent to keep the inside clean.
- Covers a decent amount of ground
- Easy to clean
- Grommets instead of ties in the corners to hold it down with stakes
- Stakes are not included
- Backing isn’t very high quality and is prone to damage
- Mat is on the thinner side
Heavy Duty Welcome Doormat
This mat looks like fabric, but it’s actually plastic matting on top with a rubber back. What sets this one apart from the other outdoor rugs on this list is that it’s very heavy so it shouldn’t move anywhere.
If you want something that sits right outside the door to your RV, but don’t want to bother with a larger rug, this one is a great option. You could also put it on top of another mat to project the most trafficked area just outside your RV door.
- Heavy so it doesn’t need to be held down with stakes
- Won’t shift much when you wipe your shoes
- Easy to clean
- Small, more of a doormat than a full rug
- Moisture can be trapped under the rubber back
- Doesn’t include a carrying case (but can be rolled up for transport)
The Best Outdoor Rugs for Camping – Conclusion
It’s not really possible to peg the absolute best outdoor rug for camping, although the SAND MIND Reversible Mat is definitely one of my favourites. Personally, I like the plastic (polypropylene) outdoor rugs because they’re both durable and easy to clean.
Usually you can find an outdoor rug in exactly the colours, size, and style that you want. Since they serve dual purposes of a decorative accent and to keep your RV or tent cleaner, it’s important to get something that you really like.
When I go camping, I like to use multiple outdoor rugs. One goes in front of the RV so we have a place to take our shoes on and off and less dirt makes it inside the camper.
Another goes under the eating area so we don’t have to worry about as much bugs or dirt while we prepare food.
Whether you need a big rug for your campsite or a small mat outside the RV door, these are the best outdoor rugs for camping that we could find.
The Latest Posts