Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Just because you have a small space doesn’t mean it can’t be comfortable and classy. And you don’t need to have a big backyard to enjoy the outdoors, either. You’d be surprised what you can do with the best patio furniture for a small balcony for a BIG impact.
The Best Patio Furniture for a Small Balcony
Not everyone gets the luxury of a backyard to call their own. In fact, many city dwellers are happy just to have a balcony in the first place. Even if you’re working with a small space there’s still a lot you can do to make our little slice of outdoors enjoyable.
All this patio furniture was chosen to be comfortable, practical, stylish, and most importantly, to fit on a small balcony.
The best part? You can order it online and have it delivered – perfect for those who don’t have a big vehicle (or any at all.)
What Kind of Outdoor Patio Furniture Should I Buy for my Balcony?
It depends on what you want to use your balcony for and how big it is. Ideally, you’d have a sitting space and an eating area just like most people do on a larger backyard patio. But that’s not always realistic; so you’ll have to decide which you want more.
For people who find themselves just sitting outside and enjoying their balcony (and the fresh air), comfortable patio chairs are a good choice. You could get a set with a table, or if space is really limited a single futon or couch.
If you like to dine outside and prefer to sit at a table then the bistro sets are a great option. They barely take up any space, are easy to move around, and can comfortably seat two people.
Grand patio Premium Steel Patio Bistro Set
I really like this set for even the smallest balconies. Not only do the table and chairs take up very little space, but they can also be folded up when you’re not using them. It also means you can easily bring them inside and store this patio set during the winter or when the weather is bad and it won’t take up too much space in your apartment.
Since they’re made of metal, this set ends up being pretty durable even for the low price. I also really like that it comes in a bunch of trendy colours so you can totally match your vibe.
- Folds up flat for easy transportation and storage
- Small set takes up very little space
- Comes in a bunch of colour options
- Chairs look weak but hold 300lbs each
- Chairs don’t have cushions
- Can be blown over by the wind
- Paint can scratch
3 Piece Patio Set Balcony Furniture
This is your standard little conversation set and perfect for a small balcony. A pair of chairs like this (with the table) are great for enjoying a morning coffee or cocktail with a friend.
Since they have a cushion the chairs are comfortable to sit in, even if you want to relax outside for a while. The rest is made of a wicker-looking plastic which means you get that durability and water resistance that you need for something that will sit outside.
- Come in a variety of cushion colours
- Comfortable to sit in
- Comes with a small table
- Can be arranged to fit on a small balcony, which is handy if you have other furniture or need to work around a door
- Chairs are pretty small
- Need to be assembled
- If the cushions get wet you may have to wait for them to dry before you can use the set
M&W Outdoor Patio Furniture, Wicker Loveseat with Glass Table for Balcony
I think this set is absolutely adorable. If you have the space, one solid piece can be nicer than separate chairs and a table. Especially if you want something a little more cozy or romantic.
It’s water resistant and the cushion covers are removable so you can wash them. The back cushions aren’t included, but that means you can pick out any throw pillow that matches your style to dress up this bench.
- Bench seats 2 people, has a table, and saves space
- Comfortable, washable cushions
- Glass on the tabletop looks nice and adds more stability for drinks
- Tricky to assemble
- Seats are narrow, but they do hold 250lbs each
- Might be tough to position depending on your balcony’s layout
Best Choice Products Outdoor Convertible Acacia Wood Futon
Small spaces and multipurpose furniture go together like cookies and milk. This outdoor bench actually folds down into a futon, perfect for relaxing summer days laying outside in the sun.
When folded up, there’s enough room for two people to sit comfortably too. Or turn it into a lounger and relax with a book.
- Converts into three different pieces of furniture: an outdoor loveseat, a lounge chair, and a futon
- Pull out tray means you can have a drink or your book close by without having an extra piece of furniture
- Cushions are removable and covers can be washed
- Tricky to assemble, especially if you don’t have a drill
- Cushions should be stored inside during winter and bad weather which can be a problem for those who have small apartments or condos
- Not completely flat when the sides are folded down
Christopher Knight Home Santa Monica Outdoor Iron Bistro Set
This set is so pretty I just had to include it. It’s super trendy (especially the coral colour) but it’s also the perfect bistro set for a small balcony. The oval shaped table means you can fit it into more narrow spaces and the chairs are designed to tuck in.
It’s heavy, so keep that in mind if you have to lug it up stairs to get it into your apartment. That being said, weight also means you won’t find this set blown over when there’s a gust of wind.
- Heavy, sturdy set
- Cute design
- Oval table means you can fit this bistro set onto a more narrow balcony than round tables
- Colour may fade in the sun
- Slatted table means water doesn’t pool, but it’s also less practical
- Only two people can sit at this table and you can’t really pull up an extra chair because of the shape
Outdoor Rope Woven Sectional Patio Furniture L-Shaped Conversation Sofa Set
If you have a little bit of extra space on your patio then this set is a great, trendy seating option. The set comes with the sectional sofa (complete with chaise), plus the matching glass topped coffee table.
What really makes this set unique though is that it can actually come apart. That way you can arrange it as one larger unit or as a separate chair and chaise.
- Designed for three people (great for roommates or entertaining)
- Comes apart in two pieces for separate seating options
- Includes a glass topped coffee table that matches
- Might be too large for narrow balconies (especially when used as one unit)
- Assembly isn’t easy (but worth it!)
- Can’t be configured any other way (when together)
What is the Best Patio Furniture for a Small Balcony?
There’s a lot of great pieces out there, but when you’re trying to make a decision more options aren’t always better. That’s why our pick for best small balcony patio furniture is the Best Choice Products Outdoor Convertible Acacia Wood Futon.
Out of everything on this list it’s definitely the most practical solution for a small space. Set up as a couch or lounger it can easily seat two or even three people. But where it really shines is a place to relax on your balcony with a glass of wine, a cozy place to read, or even a great bench for napping.
Although you can’t sit and eat like a bistro set, you could easily pull up a TV tray to this couch or a small table.
While a conversation set or a bistro table are great for their own reasons, someone who’s living alone and entertains occasionally, or those who live in apartments but don’t spend all their time with their roommates or partner are going to get more use out of this futon than other patio sets.
Best Patio Furniture for a Small Balcony – Conclusion
The best furniture for a small balcony is multi-purpose, space saving, and easy to care for and all of these patio sets are going to be great for small spaces. Still, make sure you check measurements and the layout of your balcony before making a purchase – just in case.
If you have the room, getting a seating set and a bistro table can really give you the whole backyard experience. Or grab the futon and leave the rest of the balcony open for standing and taking in the view!