Toddlers love to play, and one of their favourite things is to do things just like grown ups or big kids. Unfortunately, traditional basketball hoops are way too far out of a toddler’s reach. That means that they’re going to need their own! Here’s the best toddler basketball hoop for your little one.
Best Toddler Basketball Hoop
These basketball hoops were all chosen because they are the perfect size for toddlers. I also looked for nets that would be durable enough to withstand small kids playing with them, as well as options that grow with your child.
Why Should You Get a Basketball Hoop for a Toddler?
Toddlers do their learning through play, and basketball is a great game for little ones to develop important skills. The main thing they’ll be working on is hand-eye coordination.
At first, young toddlers will learn to manipulate the ball to get it inside the net. As their skill develops, though, that can turn into tossing and eventually throwing from a distance. Gripping the ball works on fine motor skills, and then moving and throwing helps with gross motor development.
All of these skills are going to be important for kids as they grow and eventually move onto kindergarten. In fact, throwing is actually one of the gross motor skills that teachers look for when determining school readiness in kids.
Games like basketball are also good for toddlers to help with social skills. If they play with an adult or friend, there’s an opportunity to practice turn taking. Trying to get the ball into the net also teaches the value of practice and helps develop patience as they learn something new.
Not to mention it keeps your toddler busy and active so they burn off some of that never ending energy!
Whoobli Basketball Hoop for Kids
This cute little basketball hoop doesn’t take up a lot of space so it’s perfect for small spaces. I like that it’s adjustable so that you can start it small then make it taller as your child grows.
Since it has a weighted base it can be set up anywhere and moved around. The only thing I don’t like about this net is how small the pole is. If you have a rambunctious toddler, it might be easier to break than something that’s bulkier.
Still, for a space-saving and inexpensive toddler basketball net, this one does the job.
- Adjustable height so it grows with your toddler
- Sand or water can be added to the base to make it more stable
- Comes with a mini basketball and pump
- Pole could snap if not played with properly
- Only comes with one ball
- Can be used outdoors, but should be brought in during bad weather
Little Tikes Attach ‘n Play Basketball Set
This over the door hoop is super easy to set up and can be used in almost any space. If you don’t have the space in your home for a freestanding basketball hoop this Little Tikes over the door one is a good option.
Unlike other over the door hoops, this one is adjustable to three different heights. So if you have a younger toddler, bring it all the way down, and then adjust it up as they grow.
Personally, I find Little Tikes stuff to usually be pretty good quality too. I like that the rim is made of plastic so that when your little one is slam dunking you won’t have to worry about the rim bending.
- Sturdy and easy to install on the back of almost any door
- Great for small space
- Budget-friendly option for a toddler basketball hoop
- If your door isn’t wide enough the hoop will swing when you move the door, which can knock against it
- Assembly includes lacing the net, which is tedious
- Only one ball is included
LotFancy Basketball Hoop
This cute little toy is a great first basketball hoop for toddlers. Made for kids ages eighteen months and up, it’s baby-friendly and designed to entertain younger toddlers. Unlike the other hoops on this list that are takes on standard basketball nets, this one has a fully plastic net, lights, and sounds.
There’s also a place at the bottom where kids can roll the ball in rather than placing (or tossing) it into the net which adds an extra dimension of play. The net height is also adjustable so you can make it taller as your baby grows.
- Baby-friendly basketball hoop
- Lights and sounds cheer toddlers on when they score
- 2-in-1 with an area to roll the ball into
- Small, even for toddlers
- Sounds can be too loud (but you can turn them off)
- Falls over easily
Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set
This is the classic toddler and preschooler basketball hoop. Made from sturdy plastic, your kids will outgrow it before it breaks. And outgrowing does take awhile, which is good because this toddler basketball hoop is a bit of an investment upfront.
I really like how the rim is oversized so it’s easier for little kids to score. It also come with three balls – super handy with kids so you’ll always be able to find at least one around the house.
On its own it’s pretty sturdy, but for rambunctious kids you’re definitely going to want to add sand or water to the base for extra stability. I also like that this basketball hoop can be kept indoors or outside, too.
- Study, made from high quality materials
- Height adjustable from 2.5 to 4 feet
- Easy to assemble
- Tricky to fill the base with sand (and it becomes hard to move around after)
- Older kids will love playing too, but it would be nice if it adjusted taller
- Net isn’t attached to the hoop as well as it could be
Mini Basketball Hoop for Kids
This mini hoop is meant to be placed over the door, but that would give it too much height for most toddlers. Instead, to make this one toddler friendly, hang it on a lower surface. The side of a bed or a low fence would work well. Of course, some toddlers might be OK with the higher net!
Besides that, this net is the perfect size for toddlers. I also really like that the hoop folds up when you’re not using it so the door can still open fully.
- Can be hung on a door (or something similar) without damage or tools
- Comes with an extra ball, pump, and extra basket which is handy with toddlers
- Folds up when not in use
- Not adjustable so you need to hang it on a lower surface if you want it toddler height
- If your doors are too tight you won’t be able to close the door with it on
- Back board is an OK size, but you can still easily miss and hit the door
3-in-1 Kids Sports Center
Multi-purpose toys can be great for busy toddlers because there’s more activities to do. This one, besides being an adjustable toddler basketball hoop, also has a soccer net and hook for ring toss. It also comes with all the equipment needed to play all three.
I like that this toy can build on multiple skills with the same equipment. Hand coordination is improved with the basketball hoop, foot coordination with the soccer net, and the ring toss is great for both coordination and dexterity.
- Great multi-purpose toy for busy toddlers
- Good height for younger toddlers
- The included balls and rings are good quality
- Instructions are unclear which makes it harder to assemble than it should be
- Height doesn’t adjust that tall so kids may outgrow it
- Ring toss only has one hook so two people can’t play together
What is the Best Toddler Basketball Hoop?
I was really hoping to find something better out there, but the best toddler basketball hoop continues to be the Little Tikes Easy Score basketball net. You can’t be the quality of Little Tikes, and the biggest testament to the durability of these hoops is that you see so many used ones around for sale.
Made of plastic, toddlers will have a tough time destroying this basketball hoop. The only thing that I don’t like is how the net connects to the plastic rim. I feel like it’s not as durable as the rest of the basketball hoop.
Speaking of the rim, though – the fact that it’s extra wide makes it perfect for toddlers. Scoring isn’t just easier when placing the ball in, it also means they’ll be able to move into successful throwing sooner.
Adjusted to the lowest height, most toddlers will be able to use it easily. As they grow it does expand to 4 feet, which should work through the preschool years. One downside is if you have kids of multiple ages they’re all going to want to play and it doesn’t go tall enough for them.
They’ll still have fun though!
Final Thoughts on the Best Toddler Basketball Hoop
While the Little Tikes Easy Score basketball hoop is the best toddler basketball hoop, it doesn’t mean it’s the only option. All the hoops on this list are great for toddlers and young kids.
Your choice (and what works best for you) mainly depends on your budget, the age and skill level of the kids playing, and what kind of space you plan to set the hoop up in.